These Baked Vegan Ribs have so much smoky savory flavor and tender meaty texture thanks to some simple and inventive preparations of chickpeas and mushrooms. Say hello to a delicious vegan barbeque ribs recipe you can easily enjoy any night of the week!
Makes about 8 Ribs
1 - 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 Tbsp liquid from chickpeas
4 large portabello mushrooms, very thinly sliced
1/2 Tbsp milled chia seeds
1 Tbsp miso paste ( you can substitute for tamari, soy sauce, or liquid aminos)
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp vegan barbeque sauce
1. Add all seasonings, miso paste, and 1 Tbsp of barbeque sauce to a bowl and mix together until well combined.
2. To create the meaty texture in the vegan ribs, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add thinly sliced mushrooms in an even layer and coat with about half of the seasoning mixture. Broil on high for 15-20 minutes, until most of the moisture is released and evaporated from the mushrooms and they are darkened and almost crispy on the edges. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. While mushrooms are cooling, mash or chop chickpeas in a food processor until they have a flaky texture. Add to a mixing bowl along with chickpea liquid, milled chia seeds and the remaining seasoning mixture. Mix until well combined.
4. Preheat oven to 375° F. Line baking sheet with a fresh piece of parchment paper. Scoop 1/2 cup of chickpea mixture on to the parchment paper. Use a spatula to spread the chickpeas into a thin rectangular shape about 12 in wide. Cover with a layer of broiled mushroom strips. Repeat the layering process until all mushrooms and chickpeas are used. The final layer should be the chickpea mixture. Use your hands or the spatula to smooth the top layer and shape the edges into clean lines. Use a wet knife into vertical strips, about 1 1/2 inch wide to create the "rib" sections.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the surface appears dry and deep brown. Coat the surface with the remaining barbeque sauce and broil on high for 5-10 minutes until the surface begins to carmelize and the edges char slightly. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.