Updated: Dec 21, 2020
Can't find vegan cheese options in your grocery store? No worries! This simple stove top vegan mac and "chease" easily outshines the boxed stuff. You can top the pasta of your choice with this perfectly creamy homemade "chease" sauce made with chickpeas.
Ready in 30 minutes | Makes 8 servings
1 - 16 oz box pasta of choice, we used rigatoni
1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
2 cups unsweetened plant milk, we used almond milk
1/2 lemon, juiced
3/4 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp vegan butter or oil (optional)
1/2 tsp vegetable broth concentrate (optional)
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
4 tsp cornstarch, you can also use potato or tapioca starch
1. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
2. Add all remaining ingredients to a blender and blend for 30-60 seconds until smooth.
3. Add blended sauce to a large saucepan and simmer on medium-low heat for five minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce is shiny and bubbling. It should be thick enough that it coats the spoon, but thin enough that it still runs off of it freely.
4. Add cooked pasta to the sauce and stir gently until evenly coated. Cook for another 5-10 minutes until the pasta has heated through evenly and the sauce clings to the pasta.
5. Serve right away and enjoy! Can be cooled and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up tp a week.