Updated: Dec 21, 2020
This vegan sweet cornbread is as delicious as you remember. It’s simple to prepare and perfect to share anytime of the year.
Ready in 40 minutes | Makes 12 slices
1 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk, or plant milk of choice
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup cane sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1-2 Tbsp melted vegan butter or oil
1 Tbsp milled chia seeds
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Add all dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
3. Add all wet ingredients to the dry mix and whisk until smooth.
4. Coat a pan with an even layer of oil or vegan butter. Pour in batter and smooth out the surface with a spoon or spatula.
5. Bake for 30 minutes until a knife inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean. Optionally, you can top with additional melted vegan butter and broil on high for 3-5 minutes for an extra deep golden brown surface.
6. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before slicing into squares. Serve warm and enjoy!